Armatas Vasilios, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotelio University of Thessaloniki
Papadopoulou Sofia, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotelio University of Thessaloniki
Skoufas Dimitrios, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotelio University of Thessaloniki
Yiannakos Athanasios, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, Aristotelio University of Thessaloniki
The aim of this study was to record and analyze goal scoring characteristics in top ranking soccer matches. In particular, 240 matches from the Greek “SuperLeague” (2006-07) were studied, with 558 goals scored. The results revealed that more goals were scored in the second half of the match, with a systematic upward trend in the number of scores as the match progressed. Furthermore, it appeared that the first goal had a strong impact on the final outcome since in 71.43% of the matches the team that scored first won the victory. As concerns home advantage in Greece, it was shown that it was slightly stronger as compared to other leagues (home wins: 47.3%). The results of the present study should not only give coaches a fresh insight into how to create more effective tactical plans, but they also provide useful information on the characteristics of Greek soccer.
soccer, tactics, goal, video-analysis, greek League
Download full article
- Abt, G. A., Dickson, G., & Mummery, W. K. (2002). Goal scoring patterns over the course of a match: An analysis of the Australian National Soccer League. In Spinks, W., Reilly T., & Murphy, A. (Eds). Science and Football IV (pp. 107-111). London: Routledge.
- Armatas, V., Yiannakos, A., Galazoulas, Ch. & Hatzimanouil, D. (2007a). Goal scoring patterns over the course of a match: Analysis of Women’s high standard soccer matches. Physical Training, January 2007 (electronic journal: http://www.ejmas.com/pt/ptframe.htm).
- Armatas, V., Yiannakos, A. & Sileloglou, P. (2007b). Relationship between time and goal scoring in soccer games: Analysis of three World Cups. Int J Perform Analysis Sport., 7(2): 48-58.
- Bangsbo, J. (1994). The physiology of soccer - with special reference to intense intermittent exercise. Acta Phys Scand., 151 (Suppl. 619): 1-155.
- Courneya, K. S., & Carron, A. V. (1992). The home advantage in sport competitions: A literature review. J Sport Exerc Psychol., 14: 28-39.
- Garganta, J., Maia, J., & Basto, F. (1997). Analysis of goal-scoring patterns in European top level soccer teams. In Reilly, T., Bangsbo, J., & Hughes, M. (Eds). Science and Football III (pp. 246-250). London: E. & F. Spon.
- Jinshan, X., Xiakone, C., Yamanaka, K., & Matsumoto, M. (1993). Analysis of the goals in the 14th World Cup. In Reilly, T., Clarys, J., & Stibbe, A. (Eds). Science and Football II (pp. 203-205). London: E. & F. Spon.
- Michailidis, C., Michailidis, I., Papaiakovou, G., & Papaiakovou, I. (2004). Analysis and evaluation of way and place that goals were achieved during the European Champions League of Football 2002-2003. Sports Organization, 2(1): 48-54.
- Nevill, A. M., & Holder, R. L. (1999). Home advantage in sport. An overview of studies on the advantage of playing at home. Sports Med., 28(4): 221-236.
- Olsen, E. (1988). An analysis of goal scoring strategies in the World Championship in Mexico 1986. In Reilly, T., Lees, A., Davids, K., & Murphy, W. J. (Eds). Science and Football (pp. 373-376). London: E. & F. Spon.
- Pollard, R., & Pollard, G. (2005). Long-term trends in home advantage in professional team sports in North America and England (1876 - 2003). J Sports Sci., 23(4): 337-350.
- Reilly, T. (1997). Motion analysis and physiological demands. In Reilly, T., Bangsbo, J., & Hughes, M. (Eds). Science and Football III (pp. 65-81). London: E. & F.N. Spon.
- Reilly, T. (1997). Energetics of high intensity exercise (soccer) with particular reference to fatigue. J Sports Sci., 15: 257-263.
- Sachs, L. (2002). Angewandte Statistik. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Saltas, P., & Ladis, S. (1992). Soccer and study in shots. Thessaloniki: Saltas Edtion.
- Saltin, B. (1973). Metabolic fundamentals in exercise. Med Sci Sports., 5: 137-146.
- Szwarc, A. (2004). Effectiveness of Brazilian and German teams and the teams defeated by them during the 17th Fifa World Cup. Kinesiolgy, 36(1): 83-89.
- Yiannakos, A., & Armatas, V. (2006). Evaluation of the goal scoring patterns in European Championship in Portugal 2004. Int J Perform Analysis Sport., 6(1): 178-188.
©2013 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.