Archive > Year 2009, Number 3
An Analysis of Leadership Behavior Preferred by Individual Sports Athletes at Inter-University-Level
Pawar Ranjeet Singh, C.V. Raman University
Sharma Raj Kumar, S.A.I Training Centre Digvijay Stadium
Yadav Ravindra Kumar, R.D. University
The purpose of the study was to assess the leadership preference of inter-university level male athletes involved in individual sports; and to discover the difference in preferred leadership among inter-university level athletes involved in individual sports. Four hundred and nine male athletes from individual sports (Track and Field=146, Gymnastics=142, and Cross Country=121), who represented their respective universities in individual sports and games, i.e. Gymnastics, Cross Country, and Track and Field at various inter-university competitions, and who volunteered to participate in the study, were selected as the subjects. Their age ranged from 18 to 25 years. The Leadership Scale for Sports developed and prepared in 1994 by P. Chelladurai was used to measure five dimensions of leader behavior preferred by male athletes involved in individual sports. Means, standard deviations, and the F-ratio were computed to establish the significance of the differences among the athletes regarding the five dimensions of leader behavior of preferred leadership. The level of significance was set at p <0.05. The data analysis revealed that the male players from the individual sports group had similar preferences in all the leader behavior dimensions.
preferred leadership, individual sports, inter-university level
Download full article
- Barrow, C. (1977). The variables of leadership: A review and conceptual frame work. Academy of Management Review., 2: 231-251. /as cited by S. Robert Weinberg and Daniel Gould, Foundation of Sports and Exercise Psychology Campaign: Human Kinetics Publishers, (1995). p. 204./.
- Beem, J. W. (2002). Preferred Leadership of NCAA Division I and II Student Athletes. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Florida.
- Carron, A. V. (1980). Social Psychology of Sport. New York: Movement Publications.
- Charles, A. B. (1982). Foundation of Physical Education. London: C.V. Mosby Company.
- Chelladurai, P. (1994). Manual of Leadership Scale for Sport. U.S.A.: Ohio State University.
- Chelladurai, P., Imamura, H., Yamaguchi, Y., Oinuma, Y., & Miauchi, T. (1988). Sports leadership in cross-national setting: The case of Japanese and Canadian university athletes. J Sports Exerc Psychology., 10: 374-385.
- Chelladurai, P. (1984). Discrepancy between preferences and perceptions of leadership behaviour and satisfaction of athletes in varying sports. J Sport Psychology., 6: 27-41.
- Challadurai, P., & Saleh, S. D. (1978). Preferred leadership in sports. Can J Appl Sport Sci., 3: 85-92.
- Cratty, B. J., & Pigott, R. E. (1986). Students Projects in Sports Psychology. New York: Movement Publication INC.
- Hendry, C. B. (1969). The assessment of personality traits in the coach swimmer relationship and a preliminary of the further figure stereo type. Res Quart., 39: 543-551.
- Home, T., & Carron, A. V. (1985). Compatibility in coach–athlete relationships. J Sport Psychology., 7(8): 137-149.
- Kim, B. H., Lee, H. K., & Lee, J. Y., (1990). A study on the coaches leadership behaviour in sports. Unpublished Manuscript, Korea Sports Science Institute, Seoul. /As Cited by Singer, R.N. et.al. Handbook of Research on Sport Psychology, New York: McMillan Publishing Company, 1993., p. 653./.
- Lindauer, J. R. (2000). A Comparison of Preferred Leadership Behaviour of College Athletes in Individual and Team Sports. Unpublished Master's Thesis, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.
- Riemer, H. A. & Toon, K. (2001). Leadership and satisfaction in tennis – examination of congruence, gender and ability. Res Quart Exerc Sports., 72: 243-256.
- Schliesman, E. S. (1987). Relationship between the congruence of preferred and actual leader behaviour and subordinate satisfaction with leadership. J Sport Behaviour., 10: 157 -166.
- Shivers, J., & Shivers, S. (1963). Leadership in Recreational Service. New York: The MacMillan Company.
- Terry, P. C. (1981). The coaching preferences of elite athletes competing at Universiade 83. Can J Appl Sport Sci., 9: 201-208.
©2015 Sports Academy Belgrade. All rights reserved. Powered by Magma
Publication of this journal is financially supported by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Development Republic of Serbia.